The Four Olds or the Four Old Things were Old Customs, Old Culture, Old Habits, and Old Ideas. One of the stated goals of the Cultural Revolution in the People's Republic of China was to bring an end to the Four Olds.The campaign to destroy the Four Olds began in Bejing on August 19, 1966, shortly after the launch of the Cultural Revolution.
- "beating down the bad elements"
- "beating down imperialism"
- "beating down foreign religion"
- "beating down Jesus following"
- "beating down the counter revolutionists"